Sunday, October 10, 2021

Bye-Bye New York Times

I did it. I just canceled my subscription to The New York Times.


I have been a reader of the NYT since high school. Yes, I was aware of the paper’s hostility toward Zionism and its non-coverage of the Holocaust.

And over the years, no matter my distaste for some of its Israel coverage and the tendentious columns by Tom Friedman, Roger Cohen, and Anthony Lewis, I did not want to stop getting the paper.

Overall the scope and breadth, and elegance of its coverage were unsurpassed. Moreover, I wanted to expose myself to views that made me question my positions.

However, in recent years the Times has deteriorated as a serious newspaper/outlet.

I can cope with grossly slanted coverage.

I can even cope with the condescending and relentless “how-to” pieces … of the how-to peel a banana or wipe your ass variety.  

But when the newspaper/outlet presents principally as a viewspaper, when editors dictate that woke rule virtually every facet of coverage from books to soft features – it is time to stop being a chump subscriber.  

At some stage, The Times embarked on a didactic endeavor to program, North Korean-style, a generation of readers to imbibe the propaganda of intolerance and the myopia of woke. Newer readers probably don’t even know they are being manipulated. Veteran readers may be too sluggish to make a move.

But not this old geezer. Bye-bye, New York Times. 

4 comments:

  1. Attaboy! Good riddance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't agree more. i cancelled about 4 months ago, because reading the times is like reading pravda. but what can you do? hard to break a 50 year old habit, i resubscribed. there's always bret stephens, and i enjoy seeing the times contort its coverage in to pretzels, to fit their woke agenda.
    alan talansky

    ReplyDelete

I am open to running your criticism if it is not ad hominem. I prefer praise, though.